Hi, I have been trying to parse a large ‘Fast 5K’ database that I exported from Web of Science. I don’t seem to find a good way to do so; any ideas on how to proceed? WoS allows me to download these registers in a .txt file, and they claim to be ‘tab separated’. I have tried to parse them as ISI, and it didn’t work; also, changing their extension to .csv, but it won’t work either.
I will keep trying to find a way around it. I will keep you posted if I manage to get somewhere.
Sorry for the late answer. Did you manage to do it finally?
Yes, it is feasible but required a few data modifications:
- Download your ‘Fast 5K’ file(s) as tab separated MAC
- Open it with libre office calc or google sheet, or directly in command line
- Replace the symbol (‘; ’) used to separate multiple values in one column. Typically: AU (authors) and C1 (Author addresses) by ‘***’. Be aware that abstracts also contains ‘; ’.
- Zip your file(s)
- Upload it
- Parse it by choosing Robust csv
- Add “PY” for the time field option
It may require some other small adjustments, but these are the main steps.
Thanks a lot Lionel!
I’ll give it a try and let you know the results!